The Christa McAuliffe Space Center in Pleasant Grove is once again displaying the space mural which use to hang in the old Central School hallway leading to the stage and Starship Voyager entrance. For twenty years, Space Center visitors saw the mural either in the Briefing Room or the hallway. The mural was put into storage just before the old school was demolished a couple years ago. The mural's new home is the wall along the planetarium's exit hallway pictured below. The mural's black frame took a beating during removal and storage but not to fear, work is underway to restore the frame. The Christa McAuliffe Space Center The Story Behind the Mural The mural's story begins in 1986. I took a group of Central School's Young Astronauts to the Johnson Space Center in Houston on a field trip. While there I saw a beautiful space mural painted by Bob McCall on a wall just outside of the JSC's auditorium. Opening the...
The Magellan's New Control Room Look The Magellan Control Room has a new look. The Flight Director cubicle is gone. The new layout is similar to the Voyager's except in reverse. The Voyager's flight director sat on the far right. Second Chair (2FX) was on the FD's left and followed by the video station. The Magellan's FD sits on the far left, then Second Chair and finally Video. It's easier for the Flight Director to run the whole show with the new arrangement. "I like it, but I feel exposed," Connor summed up his opinion on the matter. "Staff and volunteers couldn't get to me before. That island was like a wall between me and them. Now I'm right here in arm's reach. My personal space is gone. I miss my bubble." I wanted to offer a sympathetic response, but Connor interrupted. "But its OK. I'll get use to it." "That's the Space Center spirit," I replied proudly. "You...
OK Mr. Williamson, this is a cursor. Let's start with that Alex Anderson demonstrating extreme patience, necessary to be a programming department Master of the Code. Hello Troops, That's right, the Christa McAuliffe Space Center is bringing back the Programming Department, a special department to train a new generation of upcoming starship software programmers. The Department's Master of the Code is Alex Anderson, long time Space Center programmer, flight director, and all around good guy. It is the same Alex who created Thorium, the latest sensation in starship controls. Mat Long, the last Master of the Code, teaching the Space Center's last programming department in 2015. Normally the Space Center's departments are closed to the general public. Participants must first register as volunteers. The Programming Department will be different as explained in Mr. James Porter's announcement bel...
Comments
Post a Comment